Reading and living through the destruction of our country by the real-life Lord Voldemort on the daily has really been affecting my mood. Starting my day with reading the daily news no longer works for me and only creates an opportunity to foster a negative mood and tone for my day off the bat. I decided to come up with a list to come back to that can help alleviate some of the anxiety that has been rolling in with this year.
Take breaks from social media.
- Only check the news 1-2 times a day; protect yourself, the news will be there when you get back.
- Rid your news feeds of toxic people. If you feel uncomfortable unfriending people, unfollow them from your news feed!
Break a sweat.
- Try Crossfit, rock climbing, a new class at your gym, or a slow jog around your neighborhood. Even if it's for 10 minutes!
- Get naked! 😏 Hellllloooooo endorphins.
- Journal. Here's how I do it.
- Write a blog post and share it (or don't).
- Make an intention to write 200 words everyday.
Read or listen to a book or podcast. Some of my favorites right now:
- podcast: Rise and Resist
- audiobook: You Can't Touch My Hair by Phoebe Robinson
- book: Hope In The Dark by Rebecca Solnit
- blog: Neghar Fonooni
Light candles, incense, or sage. Whatever scents you're into. CG told me lighting sage is what people do to rid spirits, but I just like the smell of it with lavender and it helps me set the tone and intention for any of my self-care practices. [I've since decided smudging is not for me.]
Meditate? OKAY I don't regularly practice it but it has helped. I've used the Headspace app in the past and it's really helped especially during times of high anxiety. Meditation to me doesn't have to only being sitting in one spot and trying to clear your head of all thoughts, but also just being really present during anything that you're doing whether it be writing, listening to music, or tarot card reading.
Cuddle your fur child. Because DUH.
Spend time with the people you love. Create a group chat with your best friends. Knowing that you always have people there for you is a huge help.
Feel your feelings. It's OKAY. If there was ever a time to really commit to being gentle with ourselves, it should be now. Just remember your strength when trying to prevent those feelings from taking over your day.
EAT! SLEEP! DRINK WATER!
Have a drink, or two, but not ten. 🥂 If alcohols not your thing, pick out a bomb ass tea like lavender chamomile or vanilla chai.
Treat yoself! Listen if you read my last post, you know I'm trying my best to keep my promise of not buying any clothing this year, but give yourself something small, whether it be a cute date night with bae, a $10 manicure, a latte from your favorite coffee shop, or a new book.